Thursday, June 21, 2012

Is the glass half full or half empty?

Often we have used the phrase "The glass is half full or half empty" to define an Optimist or a Pessitmist respectively but has anyone wondered if there was more to it than just the philosophy of optimism or pessimism behind this.

That's where I feel perception makes the difference. If you and I are two different people, with different ideas, genetic make up and differing thoughts, how we perceive the glass is also different.

To a pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To an optimist, the glass is half full.
To a physicist, it's 100% filled, half with water and the other half with air :)
To a scientist, the terms half full or half empty don't make sense since "empty" or "full" are absolute states. The glass can either be full or empty. There's nothing like half-full or half-empty :)
To a realist, it makes no difference.

The bottom line is "perception". How one perceives a certain situation speaks a lot about the kind of person one is.

Given a glass that's half filled with water, my perception of the same is that I am personally happy to have a glass in the first place and thrilled that it has some water in it. I definitely am not going to waste my time wondering why there's only half a glass, or who drank the other half, or why is the glass filled with only water and why does it not have something else or what do I do to fill the remaining half.

There are various ways in which the glass may be perceived and the important message is contentment.

One needs to learn to be content and happy in that contentment. I am content with what I have, infact thrilled to have what ever I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment